Sunday, August 26, 2012

La Coruna-Bilbao

Yet another Sunday almost over!! Here I am trying to extend my weekend by posting more delicious photos from the cruise. This leg brings us from La Coruna to Bilbao, a little spanish city made most popular by a single building alone known as the Guggenheim Museum. Perched by the waterfront along a river that runs through the city, the Guggenheim in Bilbao is a perfect case study of human geography in the instance of post-industrial redevelopment-- taking a decrepit area in the throes of post industrial decline and transforming it into an arts and culture hub. It's success is due to the architectural magnificence of the building itself, the shell a shining beacon of titanium designed by Frank Gehry.

Ok pardon the obligatory plate/food photos. BEST SHRIMP CAKE EVERRR. HANDS DOWN. 

The building is all curves and angles, inside and out. This is probably the coolest elevator around too. 
A super fun permanent exhibit, it's interactive so you get to walk through the structures (which are made from old ships, if I remember correctly), and sound echoes all around it. 
The requisite Jeff Koons sculptures, duh. 
The biggest sculpture ever made by Louise Bourgeios, entitled Maman. Yep thats yo momma right thur! The idea of it was that like a giant spider, your mother is both a protective creature as well as a fear inducing one. I don't know about anyone else but that kinda sums my mother up quite accurately. (kidding mom, I love you!!) 

I'm quite glad I got to see this Guggenheim. I never went to the one in New York when I was there all those years ago, but this one is such an icon of Bilbao. The gleaming titanium panels in the sun and the reflections by the water makes it a breathtaking specimen. The exhibits were also very good! When we were there, a huge David Hockney exhibit was on. He's a contemporary artist who has now adopted the ipad as his main medium, but I like how he revisits places and redraws them, with time and space a constant evolution in his paintings. Check his work out here


And then I leave you with a panoramic view of Bilbao and a shot of my feet in my new cheap shoes. 
Peace out kids, happy monday (ugh)  

No comments:

Post a Comment