Sunday, December 18, 2011

Gather Up Your Tears, Keep Em In Your Pocket

Dear Cousin, 

This time last year you left us so suddenly, and now it has been a whole year, and you are still forever missed. Every time something reminds me of you, there is that constriction in my throat and the burning sting of tears. I'm sure you are in a better place, a heaven, if you will. How could you not be?? You remain one of the kindest, most generous and patient person I have ever known, always armed with a dimpled grin that was surely always infectious. If anything I wish we were closer, but you were always a big brother to me. You were the one who brought me and my girlfriends into members at Zouk when it was my first time clubbing there, and you bought us drinks but shooed us home when we got too tipsy. You encouraged me reading graphic novels, giving me great ones such as Persepolis to read. You let us girl cousins come over and win you at Wii and Raving Rabbids, you never got angry with us, despite the constant teasing we showered upon you at every Chinese New Year Dinner. You were a great cousin, a great brother, a great uncle, a great friend and most importantly a great son to your parents. You were a great man. Even when I was a kid and you were a teenager a whole 10 years older than me, I'll never forget how you always had time to answer my incessant questions, and gave me your Archie comics in the stacks. You have a special place in my heart, always and always, cousin. 

10 July 1979 - 18 December 2010
In Loving Memory

No comments:

Post a Comment