Thursday, September 22, 2011

French Food Day

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

The highlight of my week last week was when I spent the whole day eating. Met Jan for tea and we went to Antoinette at Penhas Road. One of those raved about places by EVERYBODY, and I mean everybody, from newspaper reviews and food bloggers. On the way there Jan and I were grumbling that if the food and service sucks, Antoinette is going dooowwwwn just cause it is so far away from everything! But we kinda had to swallow our words when we got there. Not is it only extremely well decorated despite the area (situated like a white tea room amongst the drab industrial feel of the area, and the cheap tackiness of a chain hotel famous for its 'by the hour' rates), but it made me feel like I had been transported out of Singapore. It actually reminds me very much of Adriano Zumbo and Baroque in Sydney, two of my favourite cafes/patisseries. Upon entry there is an impressive display of tempting sweets and cakes, macaroons included. The tables and chairs are eclectically mixed up but have a common theme of velvety luxury. I had the french toast with salted caramel and chantilly cream, which was excellent, although the salted caramel was neither salty nor caramelly. The texture and fluffiness of the brioche bread was perfect, and the chantilly cream added more lightness to the dish. Jan had the brie and french butter baguette, which too was amazing, all crisp bread and soft goodness. But seriously, they can afford to be a bit more generous with their salt. Unsalted butter, really?!! I had their Antoinette Earl Grey tea- aromatic and full bodied, plus points for the fact that they willingly top up with hot water for a second round when you're done with the first brew, unlike TWG (suck on that TWG!!!!)

After that was dinner in Holland V's Chip Bee Gardens to celebrate Ratri and Lysia's birthdays with my beautiful girls! I was so stuffed but I never say no to french food, since we were headed to Bistro Petit Salut. Honestly the food was kind of disappointing for me. Not bad but not great either, not as good as it used to be anyway. But the good thing was they arranged a complimentary mini molten chocolate lava cake for my friends, so good on ya mateys! Dessert was pretty decent, but their profiteroles are always a treat. Choux buns became shoe buns and souffle became shuffle, oh french words how tongue twisting you are.

No comments:

Post a Comment