Saturday, March 10, 2012

When Life Gives You Lemons, Make Lemon Sorbet

Last week was a pretty stressful week for me, to be honest. Worried about life, work, and even about the upcoming vacation, weirdly. I didn't really plan much on the weekend, so I was left to mope about the house. Imagine how thankful I was when Yvr texted me "Wanna make icecream today?!" (or something like that), and I spent my sunday afternoon at her home getting bitten alive by mozzies while attempting to make icecream. Our first attempt at using her sister's icecream machine was on Valentine's, when I cooked dinner. She lugged it over to my place, and we spent a total of two tedious hours making the custard and hoping for the best outcome of Vanilla Icecream, even though she bought pure cream instead of the required heavy cream. My friend, the domestic goddess. It ended up being a gooey lunk of grossness, and after a mouthful, tossed it straight into the bin.


This time around, we settled for something much less complicated-- Lemon Sorbet!! I googled for lemon sorbet, and decided upon this recipe, which only calls for sugar, carbonated water, water, and lemons. Lots of others ask for egg white as well, as an emulsifier, but I turn queasy at the thought of putting a raw egg white into something I wasn't going to heat up. The steps were super simple, and after popping it into the icecream machine, we sat around for about an hour, playing draw something with each other (me on my ipad and she on her galaxy), and worriedly checked on the churning mass of ice every 10 minutes. When it came out it was kinda like an icy, or a slurpee, and we panicked and ate half of it because we thought it would melt into a lemon syrup. Then yvr's sister comes along and says in a deadpan voice "you are supposed to freeze it after you take it out of the machine..." OH. We totally knew that. Reading the icecream machine instructions the next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment